Chania meat pie (Chaniotiki kreatotourta)
- puff pastry: 850 gr. (2 sheets)
- lamb: 1 kilo, cut into pieces
- xinomyzithra: 1 cup, in pieces
- malaka: 1 cup, grated (this is a cheese with a rubbery texture)
- Cretan graviera: 1 cup, grated
- meat stock: ½ cup
- mint: 5 leaves, finely chopped
- egg: 1
- sesame: to sprinkle on top (optional)
- olive oil: to grease the dish
- pepper: freshly ground
Boil the meat for 40 minutes in 3 cups of water and then let it cool. Filter the stock and keep ½ cup. In a large bowl, mix the cheeses, meat, mint, stock and pepper. Grease a 30-cm-diameter spring-form pan.
Lay the first sheet of pastry and let the end hang out from the rim. Lay in the filling and cover with the second sheet of pastry. Cut the excess pastry from the second sheet so that it is smaller than the bottom one. You can make decorative shapes for the top of the pie with the excess pastry.
Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in an oven preheated to 180ο C for 1 hour. When it has cooled, cut into servings.