Bougatsa (Semolina custard pastry)
- phyllo dough: 1 packet (450 g)
- milk: 4 cups
- butter: ¼ cup, for the custard and 2/3 cup (melted) for the phyllo dough
- fine semolina: 2/3 cup
- eggs: 2 plus 2 extra yolks
- sugar: 2/3 cup
- vanilla powder: a pinch
- icing sugar, to dust (optional)
Boil the milk. Melt the butter in a saucepan and brown the semolina stirring constantly for 1΄. Gradually pour in the hot milk whisking briskly and bring to a simmer while stirring all the time until the custard thickens. Remove from heat and allow the custard to cool stirring occasionally to keep it from forming a skin on top.
Beat the eggs and the egg yolks with the sugar and the vanilla in a mixer and incorporate the mixture into the semolina custard. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the custard, to prevent a skin forming, and set aside.
Lay half of the phyllo sheets onto a large lightly buttered baking tray brushing butter in between the layers. Spread the custard on and top with the rest of the phyllo sheets brushed with butter in between.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200° C for approximately 35΄ until golden brown. Serve hot and, if desired, dust with plenty of icing sugar and a dash of cinnamon.