- 1 bunch large-leaf basil
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 60g pine nuts
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, mixed with pecorino cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
Wash, thoroughly dry and remove the stalk from the basil leaves. Crush the leaves with the garlic with a pestle and mortar.
Once you have crushed the leaves, add the pine nits and continue crushing. Then, alternately add the cheese and olive oil until everything is well mixed. Taste the mixture when almost done, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- When adding to food, remove from the heat first, otherwise the cheese melts and separates from the olive oil.
- If you don't have a pestle and mortar, you can use a blender instead.
- The cheese must be freshly grated
- Pesto can be stored in a glass jar in the fridge for a long time, covered with a little olive oil.